[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 21 13:10:22 CDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:22:20 +0200
Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 August 2003 15:19, Mike F wrote:
> > > Is that thing secondhand or did you bring it back? That's one
> > > piece of equipment that wouldn't remain between these 4 walls for
> > > long...
[snip]
> No, I mean the "el-cheapo CompUSA 802.11b AP/router/switch" with the
> non-w3c compliant web interface.

Ahh... no, a while back they had these units at an online-only price
of $29.99 USD, so I got one as my first foray into wireless. I had
an idea that it would be a cheap piece of crap, but for 30 bucks,
it's hard to complain. Other than the brain-dead web interface, it
works just fine as a WAP. Last time I looked on the CompUSA website,
they had reduced the price to $19.99; even if you didn't need a
wireless access point, you could use it as a cheap router/firewall
for parents, relatives, etc.

> Ah, word processing... I wish the mainstream picked up LaTeX earlier,
> and made it accessible to non-geeks as well...

I keep telling myself I'm going to mess around with LaTeX someday,
but I haven't yet - then again, I don't do a lot of word processing...