[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Aug 21 09:11:16 CDT 2003

> You guys are crazy..  Try running a decstation 5000/240 and an
> alphastation 3000/400 for a while.  They sound like friggin jet engines
> and easilly put out more heat than my furnace.  My octane pales in
> comparison.  I find it to be actually a cool running machine.  You can fry
> an egg (literally) on that alphastation.  I burnt my arm once leaning over
> it to turn it off.

Huh? There has to be something wrong with those machines :). I have right
now 3 machines in my room: A FeeCee dual P3 with a bunch of IDE drives, an
Alphastation 600, and a Octane. With the Alpha and P3 on 24/7 the room is
around 28C (~82F) these days, as soon as I turn on the octane the
temperature will rise to over 34C (~93F)!!! And that is with windows
opened at night, and it gets quite cold at night over here even during
summer. The room literally feels like a sauna whilst the rest of the house
is at a rather comfy temperature.

then again this is a dual R10K with MXI and a couple of HDDs, but still.

The noise is also significant...