[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Aug 20 15:23:31 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> > Was it 10.1 or earlier?  10.2 is a -huge- improvement.  It's almost
> > livable for hardcore Unix users like us. :)
>
> It was 10.1, and it was verrry far from livable on a 233MHz machine.
> *chokes* The UNIX-part was nice, but the performance was most terrible.

I ran 10.2.4 on my g3 266 desktop, 256-512mb ram, 4-80gb disk. It was
usable. I wanted an upgrade, but didn't need it.

If you want a quad opteron with 32gb of ram, get that, not a mac.

Rob (who still wants to see the g5 stuff put up against an Opteron system
of similar cost).

> Good thing someone bought my iMac before I trashed it.

Odd that you'd do that if you've ever run graphics on a non-ultra Sun.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com