[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Aug 20 09:37:47 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> My neighbor is significantly less "techie" than anyone on this list, and
> he has quite a few more than 2-3 machines.

We have:

1. The main router/file server/print server/firewall. Linux.
   Files served are mostly MP3s or Oggs.
   I do my email with elm on it.
   Hp LJII printer.

2. My wife's PC, windows me. HP P1000 printer.
   Runs MacOS 7.5 for a game she likes, under Basilisk II.

3. My son Paul's machine, windows something.

4. My PC, windows 2k, set up for playing dvd's (with decoder card) and
   mp4's, etc. Occasionaly used as terminal for #1.
   HP scanner (not supported by Sane)

5. PPC 6500/250 Usually runs YDL 3.0 often runs MacOs 9.1 using MOL.

4 and 5 are downstairs (seperate entrance) and share a monitor.

6. My linux machine. Also runs MacOs under BII.

7. My son Mikey's computer, windows 98.

8. Downstairs Print server. Linux.
   Epson photo quality inkjet, Xante accexelawriter laser printer.

9. My laptop, a tadpole 3gx, runing Solaris 2.6, used when I want
   to stay upstairs and check my email.

10.  various other machines depending upon whether or not we have guests,
     or I'm working on something, amoung them 2 A/UX systems, an Axil Sparc,
     variosu other Macs and PCs.

Danny (aged 5) has not yet shown an interest in having his own machine. ;-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: geoffrey_mendelson at hotmail.com (Not for email)