FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 20 08:49:20 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> If you mean IDE on the U5, do some tests first.  Reports are that the
> U5s IDE controller sucks worse than the average PC controller.

This is, indeed, true.  U5/U10 IDE is ass.  SB100/150 is better, but the
Sun sales rep still laughed at me when I asked "how much better".  IDE
just isn't interesting to Sun.

Cheap NCR/LSI SCSI cards can be had, though.  If you can afford the
disc, that's really the way to go.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford