[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) Switch Advice SOught

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Wed Aug 20 08:14:33 CDT 2003

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> This is all home netork, use - no *real* need for Gigabit speed...
>
> Now, with 768K +/- DSL, do I need 1000 Mb/sec networking? No, but do I
> like the IDEA of a gigabit network, YES. It is better if it has any
> chance of approaching 1000 Mb/sec "bursts".
>
> In my mind, I see a parallel "server to server" network working at 1000
> Mb/sec speeds, with desktops hanging off 100 Mb/sec Fast Ethernet...

Well, that's the thing really. From what I know, these switches can't
sustain more than 500-600mbits from one end to another, even without any
other activity.
This ofcourse can vary alot depending on the machine. You'd need a VERY
fast box to be capable of 1000mbits/s, cause of the TCP/IP stacks in the
operating system.

But, all-in-all, anything above 100mbit is an improvement and with
switches and NICs getting as cheap as 100mbit hardware was just a year
ago, there's almost no reason to reject the technology for that price.

/Bjorn