FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 19 14:20:44 CDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Generally it's not difficult to do, with suits and their "cheap cheap
> cheap!  PC PC PC!" mentality.  I prefer "good good good" and "works
> works works" and "updtime uptime uptime", myself. :)  It's definitely
> more expensive, but it's definitely worth it.

Expensive?  I'd spend far more money on Adaptec SCSI controllers and
such for PCs to get the sort of I/O throughput that I get "for free"
in a $50 Ultra 1E.  In fact, if you rub up against the right sort of
morons, they'll toss the Unix stuff at you for free because it "won't
run the latest version of Windows".  I got my RS/6000 370 because
someone thought it was a PS/2 and couldn't possibly have anything
beefier than a 486 in it.

The used market is -very- much more favorable to Unix hardware than PC
hardware, so long as you know what you want.

Now I just need to get my ass in gear and punch some holes in the roof
for ventilation hoods and punch some holes in the wall for cabling, and
I'll be set.  Having a cable-guy for a best friend and neighbor is going
to prove VERY beneficial in getting this house to "wet dream" levels of
interconnectivity.

The damned power company doesn't want to run an additional phase to the
house so that I can run your S/390, though. :(

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford