[rescue] SunPro C/C++

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 19 12:40:31 CDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I think many people here have a varying definition of "cheap".
>
> $1K is not cheap (even when I was gainfully employed)....

Well, okay, it's cheaper than SGI and cheaper than Sun's compilers
-used- to be.  They used to cost $2.5k or more.  I wouldn't drop $1k on
a compiler, either.  I think your best bet is to find an old copy of the
compiler on eBay and buy the $400 upgrade, which puts the cost of the
compiler on par with the commercial compiler offerings in the PC world.

> I don't program for a living (well, not at home :-) ), and could
> never justify $1000 for a compiler setup.... I'll use gcc even if it
> is not as efficient....

Sun isn't hurting as badly as SGI right now, but SGI lets you have the
compilers for cheap-cheap if you show them that you're writing IRIX
software and selling it.  Sun may have a similar developer/hobbyist
program.

> Now $1K if your a business and part of your business is programming and
> you desire efficiency,

That's their target market.  Sun used to, at one time, offer you a steep
discount on the compilers if you bought them with a new system.  I think
the SB150 was included in this promotion.  So, if you need a cheap new
sun4u workstation, it might be worthwhile.

> than that isn't bad.... but they should offer the languages
> separately.... I don't know many people or businesses that need Fortran,
> C, and C++....

I need C and C++.  I could personally live without C++, but a lot of the
software I run cannot.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford