FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Tue Aug 19 12:23:27 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com [vance at neurotica.com] wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Paul Weissmann wrote:
>
> > and yes, the network was switched 100baset before.
> >
> > where to get a fddi switch though? (which models to look for?)
>
> There were never many models made.  Look for a DEC GIGAswitch.  It's
> large.  At least a dozen rack U.  Maybe even 20U.  Look on ebay.

not any smaller models?

> Most people don't need it though.  I think you're probably actually
> looking for a FDDI concentrator.  It's actually more similar in spirit to
> an ethernet hub, although the technology is a bit different.  Look for a
> Cisco WS-C1400.  Also on ebay.  Empty, maybe $10.  With two sixteen-port
> cards, a bit more.

i already have several concentrators, for the ws-c1100 i paid, as
said $2, w/ two 8-port mic line-cards.

for the ws-c1400 i paid also w/ two 8-port (iirc) line-cards some
$15.

i was just getting interested in the idead of a fddi switch for the
backbone

	- paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.