[rescue] u2 drive trays

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Aug 19 00:50:34 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 01:45 AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> For the PC's, Suns (as long as you aren't running NetBSD or OpenBSD),
> DECstation 5000, RS/6000, VAX and Alphas, you won't have a problem.
> Macs
> have issues with FDDI.  The iMac doesn't have an expansion slot.  And
> OSX
> doesn't support FDDI yet.  Your VAXstation 2000 doesn't have any
> expansion
> slots either.

   I've had no problems with FDDI on PCI Macs.  The DEC DEFPA board has
a pretty good driver for pre-OSX MacOS.  I haven't tried it under
anything later than MacOS 8, though, as I *HATED* pre-OSX MacOS and
don't plan to ever use it again. ;)

> Get a 100Base-TX switch with a FDDI uplink.  It's actually cheaper and
> easier to get a 10Base-T switch with a FDDI uplink, if you don't mind
> switching all your 100Mbps stuff to FDDI.  Either way, the ethernet
> switch
> will bridge all your ethernet machines onto the FDDI ring.

   Be careful here...Some switches (notably the EIFO and PowerPipes
boxes) don't handle fragmentation/defragmentation.  Get a Cisco.

> Of course, after you get sufficiently FDDI-addicted, you're going to
> want
> a GIGAswitch.

   *drool*

       -Dave