[rescue] FC-AL? and pile o' sparcs

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Aug 18 19:58:35 CDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Steve Sandau wrote:

> Starting to sort through the pile of SPARCs I got yesterday. The U1
> seems to be dead; I get a "red something" error on a terminal on the
> serial port. List archives seem to indicate that it means a dead CPU.
> The CPU seems to be pretty well attached to the MB...

Red State Exception can be memory or cpu. I've usually had it happen with
memory actually, if my memory serves me. Try changing memory, make sure
banks (of 2) are matched identical dimms, step out back and do that thing
with the chicken entrails...

> The 20 had a "stray interrupt" error when booting from the CD. Made me
> think the CD was bad, but it wasn't. I removed a couple of cards and it
> works fine. First, I took out what I think is an FC-AL card. It's got an
> Emulex 2400092 FAS101 chip on it. Anyone want it for COS??
>
> The 20 now has 128M, 4G, 2x85MHz in it. Anyone suggest a faster OS than
> NetBSD?

For what? If you can do your tasks in vxworks or another embedded OS, it
will probably be faster than NetBSD if you write really good code or don't
do much.

> More later as I dig through the parts. Suggestions for appropriate
> applications for a 5 and a 2? I'm thinking that I might use them to get
> a couple more friends interested in SPARCs...

Either would probably make a good broadband router or scsi-based
fileserver. I'm planning to put a sunswift card into my cycle 5 ipc and do
something like that, if I find a suitable scsi enclosure.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com