[rescue] u2 drive trays

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Aug 18 14:14:51 CDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:00:54PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

> The ForeRunners are interesting... basically an OEM Sun VME SBC, *with* a
> hard drive, that boots SunOS4 and downloads microcode into the Fore ATM
> switch at boot time, then acts as the management interface for the thing.
> Sadly, I have one with a bad disk - the only partition that's trashed is
> the Fore-specific /atm directory (IIRC, it's been a while).  I did manage
> to get the network up once using the painful low-level PVC/SVC stuff
> (damn, ATM is nasty :-) because the LANE code wasn't available in the
> version of the software I have.  Naturally, saving the configuration
> failed and I lost it all next time the switch rebooted.  So my SBA-200's
> are currently in antistat bags.

That sounds like it would be a wonderfully fun piece of hardware if it
would work.

> It's fun to play with, just to say "I've got thick, thin, and TP Ethernet,
> ATM, DSL, and HomePNA networking in my house."  Adding an old Apollo token
> ring :-) and/or a FDDI ring would be fun, but I don't have much
> time/energy/pressing need for it...

What is HomePNA?

I'm working on bringing up FDDI at my apartment.  I have a moderately
pressing need (well, I need a better network.  I'm choosing to persue
this rather than nip on  over to Staples and just buy a cheap FastE
switch).  OC3 ATM would certainly be kinda nice though (although, I'd be
worried about the packet size soaking up too much of the overall
bandwidth).