[rescue] $60 rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Aug 17 17:09:56 CDT 2003

So, sixty bucks and two hours in the car today has netted me an instant
SPARC collection. (I already had a 3/80, SS2, SS5, U1 and U2.) This
batch includes: SS2, SS5, SS10, SS20, U1, keyboard, mechanical mouse and
a 19-inch mono monitor. Most of the stuff is what one would expect, some
HDDs, floppies, etc. Not much memory, 32 in a couple, 64 in one and 128
in the 20... Only a couple of hard drives.

The interesting stuff: there are a couple of SunSwift SBUS cards, nice
since I had none. There's also what I think is (This is for you,
Dave...) a FC-AL card. It's got an Emulex 2400092 FAS 101 chip on it
that appears to be a fiber chip. There is no Sun part number on the
thing. Any other ideas?

Another interesting thing is that the 10 boots up to SunOS 4.1.3 and
when openwindows starts, I get a "Crosfield desktop" login. I haven't
looked at it much, but I seem to remember the name Crosfield from
graphic arts and color separation work for printing.

The only one that does not boot is the U1. The seller told me taht the
video card was bad; I don't think so. I tried a different framebuffer
and I still get nothing out of the monitor. As I recall, the U1 only
needs 2 memory slots filled to boot, and I have done that and tried
stop-n at boot time. ONly other problem is that the CD on the 20 doesn't
seem to work. No biggie; I have a couple of externals. Would be nice to
have one of the slim ones though...

All in all not a bad deal for $60. I think I can give a couple away and
try to get a couple more guys at work turned on to somethign other than
Intel... (Always a worthwhile goal!)

Steve