[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 17 12:25:44 CDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 05:52:30AM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > Would you like it if company policy forced you to wear a tutu?
>
> Uhm, not a good counter example, since a suit is:
>
> a) Gender correct for a man (or to go broad, gender neutral, if you
> include dress suits for women)

Irrelevant.

> b) Reasonable in a work environment

No, it isn't.

That's just it, a suit is often one of the worst things you could wear.

None of them are very good at handling wear, though that is increasingly
a problem for a lot of clothing (and I mean outside of machine washing).

> My view of employment is this:
>
> They offer you a job, you choose to accept it - if you don't like what
> is offered (working conditions, sartorial expectations, compensation,
> technology, coworkers, etc), then don't accept the job. If they change
> the job, feel free to leave - if your situation is such that you can;t
> leave (economy, job market, other), then learn to accept your place on
> the food chain and reassess your positions.

This is a one-sided viewpoint I have never understood.  You act
as if we owe them something.

Yes, they are offering you a job. But in return, you are offering them
roughly a third of your life, in some situations quite a bit more
than that.

I think it is about time the corporations started accepting some of OUR
conditions.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com