[rescue] firewalling windoze crap

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Aug 16 20:22:46 CDT 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >    What ports do I need to block on my firewall to protect him from this
> > latest bullshit?  And what ports in general should I block to help
> > protect his machine?
>
> UDP and TCP ports 135 - 139 (RPC, DCOM, NetBIOS).
> UDP and TCP port 445 (SMB)
> UDP and TCP port 522 (User-location protocol)
> UDP port 3389 (Remote Desktop)
> TCP ports 5800 - 5999 (WinVNC)

   The best bet when one is talking firewalls is to block *everything*
and then only allow what you want in *explicitly*.  That solves the
problem of forgetting to *block* something unexpected (and there's
always something unexpected).

   Obviously you need to let stuff in that your local system asked for,
but that's where statefulness comes into play.

   Cheers.