[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Aug 16 13:26:04 CDT 2003

Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Actually, I have to admit there's a certain attraction to the idea of
> moving to Israel.  In the words of Robert Anson Heinlein, "An armed
> society is a polite society."

Yes, it is. :-)

> On the other hand, my wife would hate the heat and the desert, and you
> never know when some Arab lunatic with a C4 suppository is going to blow
> the nearest twenty people to bits in the sacred cause of perpetuating
> Arab-Israeli hatred.

I live on the plateau that is known as Jerusalem. I'm about 2 miles from
the (3,000 year) old city, in an area that was built starting in 1956.
My house is on the side of a hill facing a former apple orchard that has
wild gazelles living it.

I'm 3,000 feet up in the desert. There is no humdity from April to
October and the temps are usually in the high 80's during the day, and
the low sixties at night. Very pleasant and often sleep with a blanket
in the summer.

The winter NEVER freezes, but we do get snow. One year we had 14 inches
in one day. Two days later it was completely gone. The temps range
from 65 during the day to 45 at night, with a few weeks of 55/35 when it
rains.

As for saftey, it's a lot safer than the U.S. even with the terrorism.

To keep it rescue related, it's a vast wasteland of PCs, most of them 386's
and newer. No used Suns, etc. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069