[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software..... (waaay the f**k of topic)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 07:59:31 CDT 2003

--- Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> I don't have to commit murder to know it is wrong.

Fair enough...

> Likewise I know that selling off 40K people's jobs so I get a bonus
> is wrong, without ever having been a CEO.

Your example assumes that the CEOs bonus is the sole motivation for
sucha decision, and I suspect it rarely is.

> Right and wrong don't magically change because your door has CEO
> written on it.

True, but the descriptions of the issues involved gets more detailed as
you move up the chain from the employee that was laid-off through
middle management to the CEO. Companies exist for making profits, not
jobs...

I wonder what the 40K employees would have done if they were
(collectively) the majority share holder (through their 401Ks) in the
company? Would they vote to keep jobs if it made no financial sense, so
that they could keep getting their paychecks? In certain circumstances,
this could be a form of "penny smart and pound foolish"...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall