[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Aug 15 18:53:16 CDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:08:10 -0400, "Dave McGuire"
<mcguire at neurotica.com> said:
> On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 01:06 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > As much as good libraries are -essential- to a well-informed public,
>
>    They are?  People still go to libraries?
>
> > they seem to go out of their way to squash individualism in everything
> > they touch.
>
>    Of course.  They're run by the government, which considers
> individualism a threat.

I would have to agree.  The ALA has taken a very strong stand on
censorship in libraries.  Most of the things that happen in community
and university libraries are a result of pressure from the bodies that
control
their funds, not the librarians.

For instance, San Jose State University went in with the City of San Jose
to combine the SJSU library and the city library into one entity, because
both saw $$ in the merger.  Any good academic knows that the end
result will be a diluted collection for the academics and poorer service
for the non-academic community because the missions of these two types
of libraries is too divergent.

About the only time you see this kind of thing not happening is where
there
is a permanent, private, endowment set up for the exclusive use of the
library.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller