[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Aug 15 18:48:14 CDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:06:41 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> said:

> The same thing happened at $JOB-4, and, to a lesser degree at $JOB-2.
> However, at $JOB-2, my department at Rice was absorbed into the library
> system.  This grew us from an independent department of 8(!) people to a
> small group in a department of over 100, crushing any hope of
> independent thinking.
>
> As much as good libraries are -essential- to a well-informed public,
> they seem to go out of their way to squash individualism in everything
> they touch.

A job interview with the Rice library shortly after I graduated from
college
taught me to be a lot more circumspect in my expression about my
observations during job interviews, and to consider the political
motivations
of the interviewer more carefully.

It was for a position in a computer lab in the library.  The hiring mgr
was
a friend of my previous boss at TAMU's library, and was obviously eager
hire me.  I didn't expect that the relationship between Rice's computer
services and their library was as strained as it had been at TAMU.  Boy
was
I ever wrong...and I put my foot in it by stating that it was obvious
that
X, Y, and Z needed to be done in the library.  All of which stepped on
computer
services' turf.

Needless to say I didn't get that job.

=Nadine=