[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Aug 15 18:00:28 CDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:34:22 -0400, "Earl D. Baugh Jr." <earl at baugh.org>
said:
> >(Yes, textile, craft, sewing, etc. geek too.  Jack of all trades
> >fits me in more ways than you can imagine.  It's too bad I can't
> >get paid for all this excess info in my brain.)

> Ah, yes, excess useless info....I know it well....
>
> But without that type of excess info, I'd have never
> gotten the wonderful nickname of :
>
> Earl, "Cesspool of useless information"

No such moniker here, but I can tell you it drive my RPG (paper and
pencil) game masters' absolutely crazy.

> (and this list would of course be much less entertaining....)

All my friends seem to have brains filled with this kind of stuff, too.

I spent way too much time learning from books "how" to do stuff
as a child/teen/young adult.  Lots of info gathering on practical
things--not that I ever got to apply many of them.

>From very early on, I had a great fantasy of running away and
living on a desert island, or in the wild lands (_My Side of the
Mountain_, anyone?).  I didn't care much for my peers, as you
might imagine.  Later this morphed into an interest (perhaps an
unhealthy interest) in apocalyptic SF as a teen/young adult.  I
figured those who were forearemed with useful *practical* info
would be kept around for obvious reasons.

In college, I worked for a while in the reference department, so
it kind of morphed into research skills.  I consider myself a bit of
an advanced googler.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller