[rescue] Shipping large computer (Onyx)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Aug 14 17:04:46 CDT 2003

I haven't shipped a large computer... but I've had a couple of upright
video games shipped by Old Dominion Freight Lines (www.odfl.com).

Their rates are good.

You might be able to find someone (possibly a fellow rescue member out
of work in your area) who'll crate it up and take it to the shipper
for less than $175.

If you can get the materials, crating it wouldn't be hard.... you just
need a pallet, some straps, cardboard, and optionally some styrofoam and
a box made to fit and staple to the pallet.  Really not that hard if
you have or can get the materials cheap enough.

ODFL is cheapest when the item to ship is dropped off at their shipping
center and picked up by the buyer from their shipping center on that end.
It can be pretty cheap to ship heavy things this way... but it presumes
the seller has a means to pack for transport and get it to them and the
buyer has the means to pick it up.

They will do pick up and drop off... but the prices go up.

-- Curt