[rescue] OT: unemployment and eating...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Aug 13 19:07:08 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:41:59PM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)
> tells you in it's name not to bother.

Keep in mind that WIC was formerly known as AFDC -- Aid to Families with
Dependent Children.

Frankly, WIC is really badly administered anyway.  Half the time, the
program won't cover the things your kids will actually *eat*.  For
example, you can buy cheddar, monterey jack, colby or mozzarella cheese,
but you cannot buy swiss or parmesan, or jack/colby blend.  You can buy
it in blocks or sliced, but not shredded.  You can buy vitamin-enriched
milk, and vitamin-enriched breakfast cereal, and you can buy eggs, any
size up to extra-large, but you cannot buy vitamin-enriched eggs.  We're
getting WIC because we have children under 6, but half the time we only
use about half of what's on each coupon because the rest is for stuff we
just don't *use*.