[rescue] OT: unemployment and eating...

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Wed Aug 13 18:41:59 CDT 2003

 > Michael A. Turner wrote:
> > all downhill from there.
> > 	BTW I didn't get any unemployment. Had not made enough money. As
> > said, Virginia is brutal when it comes to benefits if you
> are a white male.
> > There are none. It is a right to work state with the
> assumed caveat that
> > it's a right not to work state. So if you are unemployed it
> is your fault
> > according to the state. I think max unemployment tops at
> $230. It also only
> > lasts 6 months. And you are taxed on it I believe. Also you
> cannot go to
> > school while receiving it, just remembered that.
> >

> I am in Virginia.  Are the benefits actually different based on race
> and gender, having the same income before unemployment?  Isn't
> that unconstitutional?
>
> KL

	you would think that it was unconstitutional. Legally it probably
is. The way it actually works is a lot different. Almost most all social
services in this state are Judged. When you go into unemployment you meet
with a person who determines your worthyness based on several concrete
factors and the less obvious "need" factor. AS I understand it all social
services in VA work the same way. The end result is that a white male of
sound body does not meet the "need" factor in most of these judges minds(BTW
this is a judge in the sense of someone who judges, not someone who has been
trained in the law). The end result is that you cannot and will not receive
benefits.
	Oh about a dozen guys I know that have tried to get assistance for
whatever reason, they have been turned down. I have met a lot of women who
have all the benefits that they need/want. Section 8 housing is not open to
a single male with no place to stay. WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)
tells you in it's name not to bother. Look around in these offices. You will
see less than 5% of the people who work there are even male, let alone
white.
	This sounds like a bit of a racist rant. I am not trying to make it
sound that way, I am just pointing out a Bias in the system so that people
who are affected by it can be aware of it.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org