[rescue] looking for a Multia

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Aug 13 15:21:20 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:52:11AM -0700, N.Miller wrote:

> In CA, you only need to make a minimum of $1500 to file for UI.

Jeez... in Virginia it is over $4000 I believe.

The irony of it all is that the people who make less are more likely to
need the assistance.

> >Yeah... but there are problems with that:
> >
> >* it makes you look bad to employers in your field
>
> I don't think this is necessarily true, given the state things are
> in at this point.

I know it is, because I've already heard it from some people who
experienced it in interviews.

> Some (not all, mind you) of these employers are realizing that
> they have an opportunity to get someone with a lot of experience
> who may be loyal enough, if treated well, to stick around.

Well, I definitely will not stick around.  I'm a programmer and unless
I go back to school or learn a trade, I probably will always be one.
Nothing else I know how to do will pay the bills.

> >I can't believe the places that refuse to hire my friends and I because
> >of fear we'll just quit. I mean, their turnover is already very high,
> >so
> >what is the big deal? Most of the kids they hire will leave when summer
> >is over!
>
> It's not so much that, I don't think.  I just think they know they
> can look at more candidates and get someone that's better.

Better at stocking shelves or driving a forklift?

> In my last interview feedback (still talking with the hiring mgr, as
> he wants to hire me, just has to figure a way around the suits), the
> VP of Eng Ops said, "We can do better."

Aren't you talking about a computer job here?

> I can tell you I will never let my personal network collapse to the
> degree that I allowed it to in the last year I was employed--that's
> the killer I am dealing with now.

I haven't let my personal network collapse... its just that none
of them are any help.  Either they are in places with nothing
to offer, or they are in the same situation I am in.

We all talk all the time, and track everything we can find out about.
It keeps you from having to cover large areas by yourself at least.

Then there are those who keep secrets out of fear we'll compete too much
with them.