[rescue] LaserJet 5P Fuser problem

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Wed Aug 13 06:52:16 CDT 2003

Hey everyone... I'm trying to "rescue" this LaserJet 5P.  He's in pretty good
condition physically & cosmetically, so making it work would be kinda bonus.

Problem crops up when it starts to spin up the scanner, start moving the paper
path and (presumably) fire up the fuser.  It then comes to an abrupt stop,
lights up all LEDs (except the bottom "Ready" light) and sits there.  Holding
both buttons, I get a new LED code with just the paper jam LED lit.

Research thus far says that it's a 50 error, which means the fuser didn't hit
a certain temp by a certain time.  I see references to replacing the "thermal
fuse", though others have told me it's an actual thermistor.

Has anyone had this problem themselves and/or been able to fix it?  Fusers are
upwards of $150 or so.

-E.