[rescue] Fair Warning RPC Worm

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Aug 12 21:48:51 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:06:11PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Depending on your network architecture... if there is a place on the
> ethernet where you can insert a firewall.. you can use OpenBSD as
> a firewall/filtering bridge.  Completely transparent to traceroute, etc.
> Doesn't interrupt your network either... no reconfiguring, no routes to
> add, etc.

This works very well, and there are even tools that will let you
monitor bandwidth per-IP.

To get fancier, you can transparently do traffic shaping as well.

> It is quite a sweet setup, very stable, and works terrific.  I even used
> a 200MB IDE flash drive to avoide moving parts....  in theory the flash
> drive will eventually fail (it does have a /var that is written to for
> logs.... the theory was eventually to NFS mount that... but then if the
> NFS server went away I don't know what the firewall would do... so I
> never did go that route).

You could mount /var on an actual hard drive and if it croaks the
server will still work.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |