[rescue] looking for a Multia

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 12 18:29:35 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:49:25PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Someone was telling me the jobless rate is calculated by looking at the
> number of people collecting unemployment.... so the government is no
> longer counting me unemployed.... wow... didn't know I was employed...
> who should I sue for not giving me a paycheck ?

The unemployment rate can be as much as 100% off at times.

For example, have you ever noticed how many jobs are 3 months or
less?

That's because you can't get unemployment if you don't work at least 2
quarters, and they don't have to pay for it.

I'm in that boat... I can't get unemployment because my last two jobs
were only 3 months.

> If I could make enough money in a mundane job at this point, I'd go do
> that and wait for this market sector to come back to it's friggin'
> senses.... this is f'ing lunacy...

Yeah... but there are problems with that:

* it makes you look bad to employers in your field
* many places will not hire "professionals"
* you are competing with kids they can pay a fraction of what company
  rules and regulations would require them to pay you
* many places won't hire you because "you'll just leave first time
  you get an offer in your field

The latter is certainly true, and so is the fact they can pay
non-professionals quite a bit less. Some companies have rules that base
pay on years of work, etc, so they'll not want to hire you instead of a
pimple-factory.

But... what the hell are we supposed to do?

I can't believe the places that refuse to hire my friends and I because
of fear we'll just quit. I mean, their turnover is already very high, so
what is the big deal? Most of the kids they hire will leave when summer
is over!

Aieeeeee!

Hell of a mess we are in...

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com