[rescue] E3000's

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Tue Aug 12 16:40:46 CDT 2003

Sorry for the late reply, I was at LWCE running a booth last week...

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 09:27, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] E3000's
> Date: 06 Aug 2003 11:14:20 -0400
>
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:49:36PM -0400, Todd Killingsworth wrote:
> > Mine is much more baseline - 2-way 250, 512M, 2 drives - 2G and 4G.
>
> How is the power usage on one of those?
>
> Got a total wattage figure or something?
>
> I was amazed the other day when I spec'd out my PC UNIX system.  It was
> using 291 watts combined power on three rails (3.3, 5, and 12 volts).

> Just the 12 volt rail was over 130 watts.
>
> Even more amazing was that my power supply was only 250 watts... :) I
> miscalulated last year when adding drives, and someone didn't do the
> amps on the 12 volt rail properly.  Of course, I suspected the system
> had power troubles, but I had to sell some things before I could afford
> a new power supply.

How did you do these measurements?  The only thing that I've been able
to do on my systems is grab a clamp-on amp-meter on the line going to
the PSU, and do the math from there.  I'd -love- to get some real
numbers for my systems.

> Now it has a 430 watt power supply and a host of problems has gone away.

Any suggestions on a brand to buy?  I think I'm in need of a different
PSU, but I haven't figured out how to check, and didn't want to shell
out the money for a bigger PSU if it wasn't going to fix anything.
	Greg

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]