[rescue] looking for a Multia

Klaasjan Brand kjb at studenten.net
Tue Aug 12 15:16:44 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 08:08, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:43:16AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:16 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > >Hmmm.  How might [a DEC Multia] do as a firewall/ppp/NAT/router box?
> > >And what were you thinking of running on one?
> >
> >   For a low-bandwidth application it'll be fine.  I've run AS200 4/166
> > machines in that capacity on several occasions with excellent results,
> > and while those machines aren't nearly as dog-slow as Multias, they're
> > not exactly zippy.
>
> I've never used a Multia, so I'm not sure how they compare
> performance-wise to an LX (my current front-running candidate for that
> job, mainly because I *have* one).

Personally, I'd go with the LX rather than the multia. Multia's seem to
produce a lot more heat than I've ever seen my LX produce. Overheating
is the common cause of a lot of multia deaths since they are really made
for personal workstations rather than routers (note the flimsy power
supply). I've used my LX as an IPV6 tunnel over 768kbit ADSL which it
handled without any problems, so speed is not really an issue.

greets,
Klaasjan