[rescue] Fair Warning RPC Worm

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Aug 12 13:40:16 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 01:40 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:34:18AM -0700, Daniel de Young wrote:
>> Installing a firewall is the single most effective step that can be
>> taken toward warding off these kind of threats.  Literally, there is
>> NO
>> excuse to not one well positioned in the network.
>
> "My boss won't let me install one" sounds like an excuse to me.

Only a temporary one.  What you do there is either:

a) Install a transparent one without him knowing.  Use gloves and claim
to know nothing.

b) Make absolutely _sure_ he _has_ no protection against the RPC worm
and then "rescue" him by "suggesting" that a firewall would solve the
problem.  Sleazy but it works.

Failing all that:

<Dave>
Time to move!