[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Tue Aug 12 13:41:13 CDT 2003

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Not good enough for management.  They wanted to see software and
> "experts" working on it.  The software I had to evaluate was almost all
> Windows only, and the UNIX stuff usually started out at $10K and went up
> from there.

And they were mostly junk.  I worked for a y2k solution provieder.
You would send your code to us and we would find all the problem
areas for about 5 cents per line analyzed.  It was still a hard
sell (until the last minute) even though our stuff actually worked.
Plus we were probably the only solution that worked with any language.
In the end it supported 80+ languages.  It was trivial to add new
languages -- If you had documentation for the language.  At one point
we had a large multinational oil company's *only* copy of the
language reference for PL/I.  It was old with yellowed pages.

KL