[rescue] Fair Warning RPC Worm

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Aug 12 13:06:11 CDT 2003

Depending on your network architecture... if there is a place on the
ethernet where you can insert a firewall.. you can use OpenBSD as
a firewall/filtering bridge.  Completely transparent to traceroute, etc.
Doesn't interrupt your network either... no reconfiguring, no routes to
add, etc.

I use one with three ethernet ports... two for the bridge, and a third
that connects to the inside switch that get's ip'd which is used as the
interface to ssh into, etc for management.

It is quite a sweet setup, very stable, and works terrific.  I even used
a 200MB IDE flash drive to avoide moving parts....  in theory the flash
drive will eventually fail (it does have a /var that is written to for
logs.... the theory was eventually to NFS mount that... but then if the
NFS server went away I don't know what the firewall would do... so I
never did go that route).

-- Curt