[rescue] looking for a Multia

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Aug 12 11:50:22 CDT 2003

>From: "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.net>
>
>On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:14:15PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>   Dude.  Even something like [gasp, puke] a CABLE MODEM is cheap these
>> days.  $50/mo?  You probably pay more than that for your water bill.
>> And you use connectivity more than you use water.

.
.
.

>When I signed the lease, I thought DSL would be available.  But, instead
>of wiring me to the nearby switch, then sent me to a switch in a town
>too far away.  I haven't been able to get usefull info from Verizon
>about switching which exchange I'm connected to.  I can't believe they
>connected me to a switch 4 miles away when there is one only 2 miles
>away that is also DSL capable.

I have a similar situation here... I am in town 'X', and the closest
switch is in town 'Y', even town 'Z' has a closer switch than my own
town.  However, as per everything with the phone company... the wires
run to the CO in my town (or I understand that is the case... this
isn't really always the case).

So, I'm way way way too far out from the "local" CO to get DSL w/o
repeaters or off some other MUX type deal on a pole.