[rescue] looking for a Multia

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Aug 12 11:40:45 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:14:15PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Dude.  Even something like [gasp, puke] a CABLE MODEM is cheap these
> days.  $50/mo?  You probably pay more than that for your water bill.
> And you use connectivity more than you use water.

Err, OK, you didn't read the other message.  It turns out that the
building does not have cable running to it.  I am waiting to hear back
from the landlord about what the cable company says about getting it
installed.  The cable co won't talk to me about such things.  I've had a
few updates from the landlord.  The first was that a survery needed to
be done, which would take two weeks, then the results would be back.
She then called when the cable co didn't get back to her, and she told
me that they told her that the first two weeks were to get the survey
done and that it would be another two weeks to analyze the results.
That two weeks is up tomorrow.  If I don't hear from the landlord then,
I might call her on Thursday.  Assuming that cable can be installed (and
I don't see why it shouldn't be), there is still the question of who
will pay to do so.

When I signed the lease, I thought DSL would be available.  But, instead
of wiring me to the nearby switch, then sent me to a switch in a town
too far away.  I haven't been able to get usefull info from Verizon
about switching which exchange I'm connected to.  I can't believe they
connected me to a switch 4 miles away when there is one only 2 miles
away that is also DSL capable.

There really is nothing I can do today to have highspeed internet access
by the end of the month.  I'm working on this as fast as I can.