[rescue] Fair Warning RPC Worm

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Tue Aug 12 11:02:55 CDT 2003

> On Monday 11 August 2003 23:32, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> >         To let everyone know. There is now an RPC worm
> running against
> > windows. We are seeing it here already. It crashes Windows
> 2000 svchost and
> > Cause two different errors on Windows XP. Take a peek at
> slashdot for
> > running comentary on it and links to better articles.
> >         Just trying to save you guiys some time from phone
> calls tonight.
> > Looks like a bad one. Started about 4 hours ago. So
> anything doing with RPC
> > services you now have an answer to what is going on.
>
> This will be the death of your network :-/
>

> --
> Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be

	Lcukly I was able to convience people around here that patch was
important. I put it on all the servers the day after it came out. After the
reaming we took from code red, Nimda, and the SQL slammer worm even my boss
found it a good idea to install that patch.
	Today I am chasing the users who disregarded the E-mail that told
them to install the patch. Sigh, no way to enforce it and now they are
whining we should have done more to protect them. Damned if you do, Damned
if you don't.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org