[rescue] looking for a Multia

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Aug 12 11:05:33 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:09:22AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The Z8530's two ports are good to to 1Mbps.  The problem is the
> frequency of the clock input fed into the chip.  The on-chip
> programmable dividers divide that frequency down to generate the baud
> rates...but if the main clock input isn't high enough, you won't get
> high baud rates out of the dividers.
>
>   Is the U1's Z8530 fed a higher frequency than the older Suns?

That's what I've been told repeatedly.  Further, Sun seems to say that a
SS20 or SSclassic only supports serial rates of 38400, while the U1
supposedly supports higher.

Frankly, I hate to say this, but when it comes to certain peripherals,
PCs seem to be somewhat ahead of Suns.  Although, the Octanes serial
ports look the best of all (but, I believe it has no parallel port).