[rescue] looking for a Multia

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Aug 12 11:03:35 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:52:22AM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> If your after the faster serial ports to connect to a modem... you
> could use a PCMCIA modem instead along with an SBUS to PCMCIA SBUS
> card (depending on if your OS has drivers).  I've heard (here I think)
> of someone doing this.

Nope, not buying anything else.  Some bloody combination of what I
already own should darn well work.  It will either be a U1 with an
external modem running Solaris, AuroraLinux, or NetBSD (AuroraLinux is
slightly pulling ahead here, because I'm familiar with setting up PPP
under linux, but Solaris has appeal because I'd rather use it for the
core routing functionality this machine was purchased for.  I can't very
well make it route FDDI<->FastE under Linux or NetBSD), or it will be a
NetGear RM356 (which should just work, except the owner set it to an
unrecalled IP or turned off telnet, and I've yet to locate a proper
serial cable in this backwards county.  A solution is in site, an
engineer here says he can make me one).