[rescue] looking for a Multia

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Aug 12 09:18:16 CDT 2003

"From: "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.net>
"
"On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:08:42AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
"> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:43:16AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
"> > On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:16 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
"> > >Hmmm.  How might [a DEC Multia] do as a firewall/ppp/NAT/router box?
"> > >And what were you thinking of running on one?
"> >
"> >   For a low-bandwidth application it'll be fine.  I've run AS200 4/166
"> > machines in that capacity on several occasions with excellent results,
"> > and while those machines aren't nearly as dog-slow as Multias, they're
"> > not exactly zippy.
">
"> I've never used a Multia, so I'm not sure how they compare
"> performance-wise to an LX (my current front-running candidate for that
"> job, mainly because I *have* one).
"
"I was going to use a classic for that task, but now am working on
"setting up a U1 instead.  Why a U1 for such a light task?  Faster serial
"ports.

ummm, excuse me, but afaik the u1 and u2 have the same 8530 zscc
serial chip as the older suns going back at least as far as the 3/80.
maximum speed on any of them is 76800, and while i'll grant the u1 has
more cpu hp to handle the interrupt load, that's the speed i run my
sparc2 serial port at.

okay, i have only a v.32 modem attached, but i have v.42 compression
enabled though i dunno if my isp does, and i've seen rates of 7 kb/s
on news feeds.  i've sustained 15Mb/h regularly.

now, why sun never adopted the 85230...