[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon Aug 11 12:51:22 CDT 2003

> Oh my god... how many of your employer's systems are "owned" ?

	Very few right now I think. One of the advantages is that over half
of our systems are still running NT on Pentium 200 machines with 2 to 4 gig
HDs. Not much there that the hackers really want, especially as crappy as
our uptimes are.

> Or acting as spam reflectors ?
>
> IRC bots ?
>
> DDOS hosts ?
>
> etc...
>
> Your boss should be fired.

	Agreed, especially since he has started to work outside the company.
It has gotten to the point that he is here maybe 5 hours out of a week
because he is out working his own contracting jobs. what saves his ass is he
is the son in law of the chief financial officer and gets protection that
way.

> At least implement a filtering policy in the router if a firewall
> is not going to be used....

	Oddly the only person with access is my boss. He believes that more
than one person with access causes problems. I think it is we cannot see the
mess that the routing tables are. I don't think he knows how to filter and
doesn't want to get shown up.

> Wow.... is working there stressfull ?

	very actually. It is like the stress of watching an accident happen
and being unable to stop it, for three years straight. I sit most of the
time with little to do and no motivation to do what I should. No
supervision, no direction, no backup. Speaking of backups did I mention that
our backup system only gets 1/10 of our systems backed up? so when the
hammer does fall we have no safety net.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org