[rescue] Ultra 5

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Aug 11 08:10:22 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:11:48PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> some system services (ypbind etc). So I thought about installing Solaris 9
> (educational license - it's good to be a student). There seem to be 2 means
> to install Solaris for a single system - from cdrom or dvd or from the
> network. Network installation supposes an allready-installed Solaris system
> as far as I can judge from docs.sun.org - the other option being cdrom
> installation, there's the problem the thing doesn't have a cdrom drive.

First, while the sun documents assume another sun, it is pretty standard
to do it from a NetBSD machine, linux machine, etc.  Most likely the
file locations on the boot server could be different, and the parameters
in the boot machines config files may differ.  You might as well bite
the bullet and figure it out, because most likely someday it will be
really useful to you.

Second, you don't need to be a student to get a free license to Solaris
for a single CPU Sun machine.