[rescue] E3000's

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 10 13:01:50 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:19:00PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 17:14, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I was amazed the other day when I spec'd out my PC UNIX system.  It was
> > using 291 watts combined power on three rails (3.3, 5, and 12 volts).
> >
> > Just the 12 volt rail was over 130 watts.
> >
> > Even more amazing was that my power supply was only 250 watts... :)
>
> You'd be amazed how little that watt rating has to do with what the psu
> actually can handle.

You need to explain that.

For example, my older 250 watt power supply:

    3.3V @ 18A = 59.4 watts
    5V @ 22A = 110 watts
    12V @ 8A = 96 watts

...for a grand total of 252.2 watts.

Sounds to me like they got it pretty close.

And yes, the PSU really did deliver that.  Unfortunately it wasn't
enough.

I can see how some PSU's might be very poorly spec'd and thus the
wattage figure is inaccurate, but most should be pretty close.

If you are referring to how total wattage is not the proper way to pick
a power supply, I thought I covered that by mentioning power on the
individual rails.

Total wattage is still useful when shopping, to eliminate the obvious
non-contenders.