[rescue] Questions about SunOS 4.1.4

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Aug 9 22:23:25 CDT 2003

>From: William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com>

>> >I'm getting my hands on an IPX and was thinking silly thoughts of using
>> >this copy of 4.1.4 I have sitting here. This is just for the fun of it
>> >and to perhaps play with sunview.
>> >
>> >Did this version still include a CC? And which version of gcc will
>> >compile for this old a beast? I figure once I get gcc up, then I'm ok
>> >for the rest of the necessities (emacs, perl, etc).
>>
>> It includes cc.
>
>Helpful.
>
>> The newest version of gcc should work to the best of my knowledge
>> (I don't believe they have removed support for SunOS 4.X).
>
>Well, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure if I would need to start
>with something like CC to GCC 1.4 and then up the food chain to 2.95 or
>3.x.

I seem to recall compiling (foggy memory) gcc 2.something using cc.
(The actualy "procedure" is compile gcc with cc, then recompile
gcc with gcc, seem to recall a 3rd compile too... but it has been
awhile).

>> Other than patching for security, SunOS 4.X is a very stable and quick
>> OS.
>
>I found an FTP site with all the known patches... That should be
>interesting to install. OTOH, better this than anything from Redmond...
>;'O

I really like SunOS 4.X.  I like BSD, although I'm quite used to Solaris
now.

>> When I worked for Sun, the guy responsible for tracking internal migration
>> to Solaris 2.X for primary desktop systems gave up on me and recorded that
>> I was running Solaris when I was really still running 4.1.3.  I had Solaris
>> 2.3 dev build running on my secondary machine.
>
>Heh. Now that I like. IIRC, 4.1.4 was also Solaris 1.1.1 and the last of
>the line? That's half the reason for wanting to play with it for me.
>Plus being older (aka lighter wieght) is a plus on an IPX too. My first
>Sun was an IPX that I ran Solaris 7 on. I expect this to be a bit
>snappier... <WEG> (I was smart enough to stay in OW the whole time. That
>wasn't bad really. I have a soft spot for OLWM as a result.)

4.1.3 (Solaris 1.1) was always my personal favorite.  I never really
saw much of a reason for 4.1.3_U1 (Solaris 1.1.1), 4.1.3_U1 Rev B
(Solaris 1.1.1 Version B), or 4.1.4 (Solaris 1.1.2).  There was
integration of fixes, as well as support for new architectures
(Classic, LX, Sparcstation 5).

When I was the CTO of a regional ISP, we ran Solaris 1.1 for a long
time (When we migrated, we migrated to Solaris 2.6, and I think 7
had just come out).  We also were running lots of SS2, Sparcstation 10,
and a few Sparcstation 20.  We had over 10 SS2 boxes running loads of
web domains... we migrated them all to an E450 running Solaris 2.6.

Even created a custom patching tool for SunOS 4.1.3 that applied all
the patches including modifying the rc files to install the components
that needed to be installed in single user... which then restored the
rc files after patching and rebooted again....  made patching 4.1.3
a breeze.  Drastically improved setup time for a new system.

>> -- Curt
>>

>Thanks,
>William
>--

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
rescue at hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices