[rescue] Sun Rays

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Aug 9 13:13:45 CDT 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 01:30 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Did you get the host software ?
>
> As I understand it, the SunRay is a very dumb device... basically
> acting
> as a network attached peripheral (screen, kb, mouse, 2xUSB).  They do
> not act as computers at all.  Everyone with a SunRay runs all software
> on
> a host server, and the Ray acts as "locally attached"
> screen,kb,mouse,usb.

   Yes.  Just like an X terminal.  In fact, that's exactly what it
is...but with a lot of very nice "smarts" built in, like the smart
card-based session management and stuff like that.

   They really are a great product...I wish Sun would push them more.
Everyone who has seen mine loves it as much as I do (even though it's
not even the current model) and wonders why they haven't seen more of
them out there.

> I'd love to play with a couple of these... but I've never come across
> the
> server software required to use them.  I don't think it is included
> with
> Solaris (although maybe that changed for Solaris 9 ?).

   The software is a free download from Sun.  Let me know if you don't
find it; I'll dig it up for you.

         -Dave