[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Aug 9 09:28:08 CDT 2003

Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 09 August 2003 06:11, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > All I did was create a bootable CD with some tgzs on it, a home-brew
> > distribution based on (I think) Slackware, and an IBM PS/2
> > 486/DX2-50 - though it would have worked acceptably well on a large
> > selection of x86 boxen.
> >
> > It's really rather easy to do.
>
> You wrote a kernel driver to mount tgz files? Or did you uncompress
> them to a ramdisk? (That aside, were these machines capable of booting
> from cdrom?)

I swiped a lot of stuff from Trinux to handle the tgz extraction, which
were mostly based on Slackware (IIRC).  It was all preexisting there.
Some stuff got mounted into a ramdisk, but other stuff was read as-is
off of the CD.  The Zip disk was used for /home.

As far as booting from a CDROM, yeah - most x86 boxen made at that time
were perfectly capable of booting from CD.

--
Kurt              hey politician, your lies are gonna get you
kurt at k-huhn.com   chickens comin' home to roost in the white house