[rescue] Removable boot...was: What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Aug 8 23:36:58 CDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 23:23:19 -0500
Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:

> Hell, with the right system/motherboard bios you can probably run the
> system entirely off of a non-parallel Zip drive. (0)  It would be
> slower than normal but it would run.  You figure 2:1 (best case)
> compression on the Zip-disk and you get approximately 180meg which
> would make a nice simple NetBSD system.  Why you would want to do it
> that way would be another matter entirely.

Booting was rather slow, yes.  It was used mainly to help recover b0rken
Windows servers and do some network security testing while I worked for
a conslutting company in CA (Hi guys!) when I didn't have a convenient
Unix or Linux box dedicated to the purpose.

--
Kurt              hey politician, your lies are gonna get you
kurt at k-huhn.com   chickens comin' home to roost in the white house