[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Fri Aug 8 11:27:58 CDT 2003

	We once on this list had a rousing discussion about outside security
consultants and how much they suck. In the process of the discussion several
people made the statement that the fraudsters come in and "Just run program
X and print the output!". I remember nessus was one of those programs and
someone else mentioned ethereal. I went out afterwards and started running
those programs and found them to be very nifty.
	What I am trying to remember now is the other programs people have
mentioned for doing security auditing. The subject has come up at work again
and they are looking to hire a company monthly to do the auditing. I want to
be able to cut them off at the pass by either A. Doing the job better than
them saving us money, or B. Debunking them by calling shenanigans by
recognizing the software that they are running. So can anyone though out any
good software packages in this area? Also some good intrusion detection
software wouldn't hurt also.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org