[rescue] SCSI disk problem, need suggestions

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Aug 7 23:29:10 CDT 2003

I have a SCSI HD out of a friend's Mac that I'm
trying to see if I can get some data off of.

When I first plugged it in and powered it up, it
sounded like the stepper motor was having trouble
(spin, stop, spin, stop).  After a bit, it calmed
down and seemed to be acting more normal.

I was able to see it during one bus scan by the Apple
System profiler for Devices & Volumes; however, this
was on an OS X box, and let's just say the disk utilities
on OS X leave a little bit to be desired.

I hooked it up to an 8500 using the same SCSI controller
since I have a wide variety of disk utils for Classic as
well.  It seems to be spinning fine, but I cannot see it
on the bus at all.  I added a terminator to the chain (disk
is the only thing on the chain), but that didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

It's not super critical (he can't afford to cough up the
bucks for data recovery), but I want to go the whole 9
yards as far as amateur attempts go.

TIA--
=Nadine=