[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 17:49:40 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:41:38AM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Thursday 07 August 2003 22:35, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >    How's GCC on the PPC?
>
> Depends. I once read a benchmark showing that linux scored about 3/4 as fast
> as Mac OS 8 or 9 on purely cpu oriented benchmarks, but I suppose things have
> changed a lot since. The Apple guys nowadays think GCC rocks for development.
> I got better things to do then following gcc development, but I bet Apple
> does some little improvement here and there...

But there are all sorts of things that could effect that "benchmark".
Off the top of my head, what compilers were used on Mac OS?  What
version of linux was used?  Most importantly, what version of GCC?
Supposedly, all versions of GCC 3.x produce faster code for RISC
platforms in general than older versions of GCC did.  Plus, since Mac OS
8 was current, Apple and IBM have had a lot of time to work on
performance improvements, and both have had a lot of reason to do so.