[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 12:40:54 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 01:01:33PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >BTW, have you looked at the Hitachi H8?  25mhz 16/32 bit risc, built in
> >ram and flash, with the ability to address outside packages as well,
> >able to run ECOS, etc, all for about $4 per/chip.  I like the look of
> >that chip myself.  I kinda wish I could find a CPU with a built in
> >ethernet controller though.  I think that would be ideal for what I
> >personally want to do.  But, I haven't looked at all the various H8
> >packages yet either.
>
>   I have not.  What's a good way to get started with the H8?
> Compilers?  Dev board?

The compilers are just standard GNU GCC to my understanding.  No special
stuff that isn't in the main GCC tree.  A dev board can be gotten from
Renasas for some moderate number of dollars.  I seem to recall hearing
$500.  H8/Tiny board apparently are something like $30, but I think they
would be too underpowered for my goals (a big one is run an off the
shelf, multitasking/multithreaded OS with networking built it, like,
say, ecos, or ucLinux).

I should disclaim that I haven't used it yet.  I've just been reading
the Renasas supplied "H8/3024 Hardware Manual".  I believe it is
available as a PDF on their web site, but I have the bound copy from
them near my desk.