[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Aug 7 11:19:04 CDT 2003

On Thursday 07 August 2003 17:21, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > Oh... nooooo he didn't....
> >
> > Dave will yo do the honors :)
>
>    He did.  I tried to take it easy on Frank because I like him.  It's
> not his fault that he's misinformed.  I'll just do my best to help.

Oooooh... :)

I just wondered about it, because some time in the past I had a talk about smp
support and the BSDs with someone I know - a sysadmin who is a real BSD
adept, as far as I conclude from it, smp support in NetBSD is still in a very
premature state, while I know for sure that attention to this has been paid
in the Linux kernel for a much longer time. Just trying to fill my
misinformation gap :-) .

Otoh. If you don't need 3 of those 4 cpu's... and you distrust Linux for
reasons of stability...

I cannot say I share the same idea about it, then again, I am not a
professional, I run just a few small systems, I don't possess an Alpha (or an
smp box for that matter), and on the systems I run Linux, it's rock-stable.
My router loses his [1] uptime only when I shut it down because of
thunderstorms or holidays, no quirks or problems whatsoever, and it runs old
off-the-shelf hardware.

As for my misinformation problem :) , keep in mind I come from a PC
background. My family has always been using PC's (except for an uncle who
prefers Macs), and most of my friends use PC's. Most of the time, I am
preaching the bible of Emacs to those who are still locked in to the
OS-not-to-be-named, taking into account other considerations then running a
mission critical fileserver. I get flowers and fruits and young virgins
delivered to my door for it every day.

[1] Or should that he "her"?

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be